Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Nephew, The Artist


I'm so excited, that I just had to post this. (I got permission from the artist and his mom). My nephew's art was chosen to be exhibited at a local bank. He's in 3rd grade and has been interested in art for a while (in a cool sort of way, of course). A few times I've talked to him about techniques and such, but I never know what's the appropriate teaching level for the different age groups. Right now, I just casually talk about perspective and how to hold the pencil out to get the angle and how certain paintings are created. I try to get his input on pieces of art as well. This past summer, I took him to the "Arts At The Meadow" (an art festival in Chapel Hill, NC). He enjoyed it and was even willing to discuss what paintings he liked. Although, he kept telling the artists "my aunt is an artist...she has a website"...(that was right before I created a hole and crawled in). Of course, he has this "all agog" way of holding himself, so I wasn't sure if he was enjoying himself, but maybe that's normal for boys his age.

Anyway, I am really glad that his artwork was chosen to be hung at the bank. Do you know what I really like about this piece? The sky and the mountains...I love it because it's not the typical colors of these things. Skies don't have to be blue, mountains green or brown or grey. The strokes create movement in the painting, almost as if you're in a car looking out the window at the scenery, looking at the mountains as the trees go whizzing by your eyes.
What do you think about it?

2 comments:

Linda Blondheim said...

I enjoyed your excellent drawings and reading your blog.

Linda Blondheim
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

Janae said...

Thanks Linda! I'm just starting out with the blog, so I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far.